Monday, May 20, 2013

Desiring God ALONE


Psalm 62 has been my food for the soul for last few days. I see our society and the description of our condition in this psalm. Over and over and over David writes about waiting on God, trusting God, seeking God in the midst of a crooked and perverse people. I want to share my heart for I know you will see God in this too!
Psalm 62 (NKJV)
Truly my soul silently waits for God;
From Him comes my salvation.
He only is my rock and my salvation;
He is my defense;
I shall not be greatly moved.
How long will you attack a man?
You shall be slain, all of you,
Like a leaning wall and a tottering fence.
They only consult to cast him down from his high position;

They delight in lies;
They bless with their mouth,
But they curse inwardly. Selah
My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation;

He is my defense;
I shall not be moved.
In God is my salvation and my glory;
The rock of my strength,
And my refuge, is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, you people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Selah
Surely men of low degree are a vapor,
Men of high degree are a lie;
If they are weighed on the scales,
They are altogether lighter than vapor.
10 Do not trust in oppression,

Nor vainly hope in robbery;
If riches increase,
Do not set your heart on them.
11 God has spoken once,
Twice I have heard this:
That power belongs to God.
12 Also to You, O Lord, belongs mercy;

For You render to each one according to his work.


Some personal thoughts I wrote down on each verse from what this psalm has been teaching me and it may teach you too.

1.       Close My Mouth! Not all my seeking God must be with a barrage of words but in cutting out distractions including my own words and just hearing the voice of Holy Spirit. Before I speak stay silent before the Lord.
2.       My Security is God! He is my rock because the foundation is unmovable, He is my salvation because I am saved by faith it is a gift, He is my defense for the military of legions of angels fight on my behalf. As a result I will not be moved! Wow.
3.       Protect the Abused! Verse 3 warns of constantly attacking people who are vulnerable and helpless just like a leaning wall that might break any minute. If I join in mocking, scorning, and abusing the poor, helpless, needy I will be punished by God. So this is a call to be the protector of the helpless!
4.       Persecution is Evident! This world will do everything it can to lie about God, lie about heaven, lie about purity, and with the same mouth they flatter and praise the humanitarian work of Christians yet in their hearts they curse the works of God. Trusting God alone is the only path. No prideful man, no sensual organization, no worldly entity will promote God but instead try to persecute the work of the righteous. (Example happening in our days: http://goo.gl/iGvdc )
5.       Peace in Crisis. While war and conflicts arise around the world, while terror is highlighted and death shown on television, while persecution and scorn is elevated, while fear and crisis arise I will be in full peace in my soul because God alone is my hope. Hallelujah!
6.       Holy Spirit Protection! My soul will not be influenced, swayed, or converted into the methods, strategies, and knowledge of the world because GOD ALONE protects my soul. I walk in faith and not fear knowing my soul is in perfect peace with God! Is your soul at peace with God?
7.       Honor Comes ONLY From God! It says He is my glory and in another translation it says He is my honor. True honor is knowing God personally. It is not degrees, career positions, business growth, or even church expansions, it is knowing the Lord Jesus Christ personally. If I want honor, I need to know Jesus.
8.       Be Real with God ALWAYS! We sin, we fail, we have struggles but that’s not the time to hide from God but pursue God. Our faith has to be strong enough to know that even when we sin knowingly, we can still communicate with God. Pour your soul out to Him. Not only at crusades, conferences, and special church events but in your kitchen table, your living room chair, your study room. God wants you always!
9.       All trust in men is worthless! Another version of verse 9 says, “Ordinary folks are merely a breath and important people a sham; if you lay them on a balance scale, they go up-both together are lighter than nothing.” Wow. All men “important” or “ordinary” when you put your trust in any man or women or leader or teacher put them on God’s scale he says its less than nothing. Think about that!
10.   Greed must be cutoff! God is not talking about how evil money is in verse 10 but how much greed is in the hearts of men that they are willing to literally rob people’s money, force their way into taking money away from you, and ultimately trusting in the increase of their wealth. This is our society! But the deeper question is, is this in MY heart??? We can point fingers but let’s examine our own motives and hearts. Is greed a part of my life?
11.   God is Influence! Strength is not determined by the muscles on our arms in the Bible but by the level of influence and impact one has over others. Bottom line in verse 11 is that GOD ALONE IS THE ULTIMATE INFLUENCE! TRUST GOD!
12.   God STILL Loves YOU! Mercy it says BELONGS to God. It is His! He rewards our deeds but in mercy. He doesn't “punish” me or you out of anger. It is always a form of discipline not punishment through the gateway of mercy. God loves you so much! The love of God is incredible! After describing all the heart of man in this psalm the conclusion is God still loves you, wants His mercy to be evident in your life, and desires you to know Him only! God is so good!

This should make you and I jump for joy that if we fully trust God, He will protect us, give us courage, inspire us, honor our lives, give us influence for the name of Christ, create a giving heart, and a life of passion and purpose to reach the world with the love of Jesus Christ! Hallelujah! 

Song to Inspire your walk with God: 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Great post Paul! Godly encouragement, worship, word, & relationship. Keep up the God inspired words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only God is our honor! He is our true joy! You are a blessing brother Mark!

      Delete